New Zealand PM pledges support to familes of trapped miners

14:35, November 20, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key on Saturday promised the families of 29 trapped miners on South Island's West Coast that the government will give them every possible support.

Everything possible would be done to rescue the 29 trapped men, he told a media conference in the West Coast town of Greymouth.

Key said he had received a huge number of expressions of concern internationally.

He added that the big issue now is balancing the rescue of the miners with the safety and security of those that have to undertake that operation.

The risk of another explosion has delayed the rescue mission of 29 men trapped underground since a methane gas blast at Pike River Coal mine near the west coast town of Greymouth in New Zealand's South Island.

By Saturday afternoon, rescuers were still unable to enter the remote West Coast mine. Police on Friday put the number of trapped miners at 27.

Pike River Coal chief executive Peter Whittall told a press conference on Saturday afternoon that there has been no contact with the miners since the explosion just before 4 p.m. Friday.

Air samples being taken from the mine were being analyzed for traces of methane, carbon monoxide, ethane and other trace gases.

Rescue operation chief, Tasman District police area commander Gary Knowles said rescuers wanted to go into the mine but could not until it was safe to do so, and air quality tests were so far ruling that out.

He said he would not put people underground until they can prove it is a safe environment.

The families of the trapped miners had gathered at a Red Cross center and were being kept fully informed of all developments.

Whittall told the press conference that the two miners who walked out of the mine on Friday with minor injures, had been discharged from Grey Base Hospital on Saturday.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:燕勐)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Chinese Navy soldiers hold an evening party marking the upcoming 62nd National Day aboard Chinese Navy hospital ship "Peace Ark" in the Pacific on Sept. 28, 2011. The Chinese National Day falls on Oct. 1. (Xinhua/Zha Chunming)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 30, 2011 shows the crowd at the plaza of Beijing Railway Station in Beijing, capital of China. The railway transportation witnessed a travel peak with the approach of the seven-day National Day holidays on Friday. (Xinhua)
  • A man wearing high-heel shoes takes part in the 3rd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, an event when men literally walk in women's shoes to raise awareness about ending violence against women, at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto, Canada, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows a cargo ship in danger on the sea near Zhuhai City, south China's Guangdong Province. Cargo ship Fangzhou 6 of Qingzhou of southwest China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region lost control after water stormed into its cabin due to Typhoon Nesat on the sea near Zhuhai Thursday, leaving 12 crew members in danger. Rescuers rushed to the ship and saved them by using a helicopter. (Xinhua)
  • Actress Gong Li poses for L'Officiel Magazine. (Xinhua Photo)
  • Demonstrators from the Occupy Wall Street campaign hold placards as they march in the financial district of New York September 29, 2011. After hundreds of protesters were denied access to some areas outside the New York Stock Exchange on September 17, demonstrators set up a rag-tag camp three blocks away. Zuccotti Park is a campground festooned with placards and anti-Wall Street slogans. The group is adding complaints of excessive police force against protesters and police treatment of ethnic minorities and Muslims to its grievances list, which includes bank bailouts, foreclosures and high unemployment. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Hot Forum Discussion