Hope fading for trapped miners in NZ

15:27, November 23, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

The likelihood is diminishing of a successful rescue of 29 miners who have been trapped in Pike River coal mine in New Zealand's South Island for five days, the police officer in charge of the operation said on Tuesday.

"The situation is bleak," Gary Knowles told a press conference in the West Coast town of Greymouth.

The rescue team cannot go into the mine at present because the risk of secondary explosion is real, he said.

CCTV footage was shown of the mine entrance when the explosion occurred on Friday afternoon.

The footage showed a 52-second blast of gas and dust as the force of the explosion was released out of the mine entrance and also up a separate vertical shaft.

Pike River coal mine chief executive Peter Whittall told the news conference a camera was sent down on Tuesday to a fresh air base where workers can seek refuge in the case of fire.

Whittall said it showed some minor damage to the area but no sign of any people. Mine officials say the footage demonstrates the force of the explosion, which is likely to have occurred about two kilometres into the mine.

A second Defence Force robot has delivered by helicopter at the Pike River coal mine to replace the one that broke down inside the mine.

Earlier in the morning, the first robot failed after coming into contact with water just 550 metres into the mine.

There has been no communication with the miners and contractors at the horizontal mine at Atarau, near Greymouth, since a methane gas explosion cut power and blew out ventilation fans at 3.45 p.m. on Friday.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key told the Parliament on Tuesday that police are planning for possible loss of life in the Pike River coal mine.

Key said the missing miners' families felt a sense of helplessness and frustration.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:张茜)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Chinese Navy soldiers hold an evening party marking the upcoming 62nd National Day aboard Chinese Navy hospital ship "Peace Ark" in the Pacific on Sept. 28, 2011. The Chinese National Day falls on Oct. 1. (Xinhua/Zha Chunming)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 30, 2011 shows the crowd at the plaza of Beijing Railway Station in Beijing, capital of China. The railway transportation witnessed a travel peak with the approach of the seven-day National Day holidays on Friday. (Xinhua)
  • A man wearing high-heel shoes takes part in the 3rd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, an event when men literally walk in women's shoes to raise awareness about ending violence against women, at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto, Canada, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows a cargo ship in danger on the sea near Zhuhai City, south China's Guangdong Province. Cargo ship Fangzhou 6 of Qingzhou of southwest China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region lost control after water stormed into its cabin due to Typhoon Nesat on the sea near Zhuhai Thursday, leaving 12 crew members in danger. Rescuers rushed to the ship and saved them by using a helicopter. (Xinhua)
  • Actress Gong Li poses for L'Officiel Magazine. (Xinhua Photo)
  • Demonstrators from the Occupy Wall Street campaign hold placards as they march in the financial district of New York September 29, 2011. After hundreds of protesters were denied access to some areas outside the New York Stock Exchange on September 17, demonstrators set up a rag-tag camp three blocks away. Zuccotti Park is a campground festooned with placards and anti-Wall Street slogans. The group is adding complaints of excessive police force against protesters and police treatment of ethnic minorities and Muslims to its grievances list, which includes bank bailouts, foreclosures and high unemployment. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Hot Forum Discussion