New Zealand PM condemns Russian suicide bomb attack

16:54, January 25, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key on Tuesday condemned those responsible for a suicide bomb attack at a Russian airport that left dozens dead.

At least 35 people were killed and 180 were wounded in the attack at Domodedovo Airport when a suicide bomber carrying a suitcase set off a huge explosion.

No one has claimed responsibility for the explosion.

Key said at a press conference that he was shocked by the attack.

"It is of huge concern that the attack on ordinary civilians was almost certainly instigated by terrorists," Key said. "Our thoughts are with all of those affected by this tragedy, and I join other leaders from around the world in condemning those responsible."

Key said he had written to Russian President Dmitry Medvedev to formally express the Government's condolences.

Earlier Tuesday, New Zealand Foreign Minister Murray McCully also expressed concern at the attack.

"The consequences of incidents such as these are far reaching, and are never easy to come to terms with for both citizens and governments alike," said McCully.

The New Zealand Embassy in Moscow had been contacting New Zealanders registered with the ministry as being in Moscow, McCully said.

There had been no reports of New Zealanders caught up in the blast.

Source: Xinhua

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Focus On China
  • Shanghai World Expo 2010
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Zvonareva beats Kvitova at Australian Open
  • 83rd Annual Academy Awards nominations released
  • Football zealots during Asian Cup
  • Japan defeats South Korea 3-0 to reach Asian Cup final
  • Snow hits NW China's Hami, causing traffic jam
  • Egyptian protesters demonstrate against Mubarak in Cairo
Most Popular
Hot Forum Dicussion