Terror attack threatens Australia's multiculturalism
Terror attack threatens Australia's multiculturalism
08:15, June 08, 2011

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 
A terrorist attack in Australia would significantly damage the country's vibrant multicultural community, federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland said here on Tuesday.
Speaking at a conference about the decade since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, hosted by the United States Studies Centre in Sydney, McClelland said while the threat of terrorism was small, an attack would be extremely damaging to community harmony.
Australia had not been immune to the planning and activities of violent extremists in the past 10 years, he said.
"Since 2000, there have been four major terrorist plots disrupted in Australia," he said.
In that time, 23 people had been convicted on charges relating to terrorism plots and 38 had been charged.
"Significantly, 37 of the 38 people prosecuted are Australian citizens and 21 of the 38 were born in Australia. For this reason, the government has focused on the risk of vulnerable individuals in Australia becoming radicalised to the point of being willing to use violence," he added.
McClelland mentioned the US government's past belief that the country's 'melting pot' culture meant it was immune to recruiters trying to radicalise American citizens.
"We too in Australia have a vibrant multicultural community and those who would commit extreme acts are very small ... they are active but fortunately very small," he said.
Since 2001, the Australian government had increased the national security budget from 18 billion AU dollars (19 billion U.S. dollars) to 33 billion AU dollars (35 billiion U.S. dollars), he added.
Source: Xinhua
Speaking at a conference about the decade since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, hosted by the United States Studies Centre in Sydney, McClelland said while the threat of terrorism was small, an attack would be extremely damaging to community harmony.
Australia had not been immune to the planning and activities of violent extremists in the past 10 years, he said.
"Since 2000, there have been four major terrorist plots disrupted in Australia," he said.
In that time, 23 people had been convicted on charges relating to terrorism plots and 38 had been charged.
"Significantly, 37 of the 38 people prosecuted are Australian citizens and 21 of the 38 were born in Australia. For this reason, the government has focused on the risk of vulnerable individuals in Australia becoming radicalised to the point of being willing to use violence," he added.
McClelland mentioned the US government's past belief that the country's 'melting pot' culture meant it was immune to recruiters trying to radicalise American citizens.
"We too in Australia have a vibrant multicultural community and those who would commit extreme acts are very small ... they are active but fortunately very small," he said.
Since 2001, the Australian government had increased the national security budget from 18 billion AU dollars (19 billion U.S. dollars) to 33 billion AU dollars (35 billiion U.S. dollars), he added.
Source: Xinhua
|
||||||||||||||||||||||
(Editor:石希)

Related Reading

Special Coverage
Major headlines
Rain to alleviate drought, cause flooding in south China: CMA
Driver arrested in Beijing road accident that kills 4, injures 20
Overseas Chinese entrepreneurs more competitive in transnational investment, cooperation: official
Dragon Boat races held throughout China as festival approaches
Chinese, British defense ministers pledge to boost bilateral ties
China to constantly promote military relations with Australia: Chinese DM
Channels of communication smooth for South China Sea issue: Chinese DM
Editor's Pick


Hot Forum Discussion











