3 killed, 23 injured in suicide bombing in eastern Afghan province
3 killed, 23 injured in suicide bombing in eastern Afghan province
14:26, June 11, 2011

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 
At least three people were killed and 23 others were injured Saturday morning when a suicide bomber blew himself up in Khost, the capital city of eastern Khost province, an official said.
"Till now three killed and 23 injured were admitted in provincial capital hospital Saturday morning," director of provincial health department Hidayatullah Hamidi told Xinhua.
Earlier, a police official who declined to be identified said that a suicide bomber blew himself up near a police vehicle bringing the commander of fast-reaction police department, Mohammad Zahir, to office in western part of the city.
Meantime, the elder son of police commander Zahir said in talk with local media that his father, Zahir was killed in the suicide attack that took place near his office.
According to Hamidi, most of the casualties were civilian while some policemen were also among the victims of the blast that took place at around 07:30 a.m. local time.
He said that the number of casualties could further rise since the explosion occurred in morning rush hour. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far but Taliban militants have been behind most suicide and roadside bomb attacks across the country.
Taliban-led insurgency has been rampant since the militant group announced on April 30 to start spring offensive against Afghan and NATO-led international forces.
The insurgents also warned the civilians to keep away from official gatherings, military convoys and centers because they are the legitimate targets of their attacks.
Source: Xinhua
"Till now three killed and 23 injured were admitted in provincial capital hospital Saturday morning," director of provincial health department Hidayatullah Hamidi told Xinhua.
Earlier, a police official who declined to be identified said that a suicide bomber blew himself up near a police vehicle bringing the commander of fast-reaction police department, Mohammad Zahir, to office in western part of the city.
Meantime, the elder son of police commander Zahir said in talk with local media that his father, Zahir was killed in the suicide attack that took place near his office.
According to Hamidi, most of the casualties were civilian while some policemen were also among the victims of the blast that took place at around 07:30 a.m. local time.
He said that the number of casualties could further rise since the explosion occurred in morning rush hour. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far but Taliban militants have been behind most suicide and roadside bomb attacks across the country.
Taliban-led insurgency has been rampant since the militant group announced on April 30 to start spring offensive against Afghan and NATO-led international forces.
The insurgents also warned the civilians to keep away from official gatherings, military convoys and centers because they are the legitimate targets of their attacks.
Source: Xinhua
|
||||||||||||||||||||||
(Editor:张茜)

Related Reading

Special Coverage
Major headlines
Editor's Pick


Hot Forum Discussion











