Ukraine-NATO "Sea Breeze-2010" exercises end in Black Sea

10:07, July 24, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Ukraine-NATO joint "Sea Breeze-2010" military exercises ended in the Black Sea on Friday, the press service of Ukraine's Defense Ministry said in a statement.

The closing ceremony was held at the Officers' House in Odessa, a port city in southern Ukraine, according to the statement.

On behalf of the Defense Ministry of Ukraine, Ukrainian Navy Vice Admiral Viktor Maksimov thanked the participants of the drills for their commitments on international cooperation.

"We have completely fulfilled the tasks of the exercises," Maksimov noted.

Commander of U.S. Naval Forces in Europe and Africa Mark Fitzgerald, in his turn, expressed his gratitude to the Ukrainian government and people for the opportunity to conduct the war games.

"I hope next year we will also carry out tasks together," he said.

Ukraine and NATO launched the "Sea Breeze" military exercises on July 12. The land, naval and air drills were focused on fighting against sea piracy and terrorism.

The exercises involved around 1,000 troops from Ukraine and 500 more from 11 other countries, including the United States, Belgium, Turkey and Germany.

Such military exercises have been conducted in Ukraine since 1997. However, last year the Ukrainian parliament refused to approve the drills, and they were canceled in 2006 and 2007 because of anti-NATO protests.

Ukraine's President Viktor Yanukovych on July 15 signed a law confirming the country's non-bloc foreign policy, dropping a bid to join NATO but stressing the readiness to enhance constructive cooperation with the military bloc based on mutual interest.

Source:Xinhua

(Editor:李牧(实习))

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • A Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module blasts off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 29, 2011. Commander-in-chief of China's manned space program Chang Wanquan announced Thursday night that the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module was successful. (Xinhua/Wang Jianmin)
  • Chinese President Hu Jintao watches the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center in Beijing, capital of China, Sept. 29, 2011. Other members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, including Wu Bangguo, Jia Qinglin, Li Changchun, Xi Jinping, Li Keqiang and Zhou Yongkang, are also present. (Xinhua/Rao Aimin)
  • The graphics shows the launch procedures of the carrier rocket of Tiangong-1 space lab module, Long March-2FT1 on Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Lu Zhe)
  • Image taken from Beijing Aerospace Control Center shows a Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module blasting off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua)
  • On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
  • Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
Hot Forum Discussion