Case filed against Iran's opposition leader Karroubi: prosecutor
Case filed against Iran's opposition leader Karroubi: prosecutor
19:29, October 13, 2009

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 
Tehran's prosecutor Abbas Jafari Dolatabadi said Tuesday that a case has been filed against Iran's defeated presidential candidate Mehdi Karroubi in the clerical court, the official IRNA news agency reported.
The prosecutor said that the case has been filed concerning his "allegations" and "some have been summoned to the court in this regard," the report said.
"Mr. Karroubi is a cleric and his allegations should be dealt with in the clerical court," Dolatabadi said, adding that "some have been summoned to the court in this regard and in case any detailed information is received, we will let the people know."
In a letter, dated July 29 and revealed 10 days later and being addressed to the head of Iran's Assembly of Experts and the Expediency Council Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi-Rafsanjani, Karroubi urged Rafsanjani to probe into various abuses, including "jail rape" reports.
According to the letter, some male and female detainees in Kahrizak prison, which was later shut down by Supreme Leader's order, were said to have been subjected to serious sexual abuse.
Protests gripped Tehran and other Iranian cities after the June12 presidential election, amid claims that the vote had been rigged in favor of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
In August, Iran's judiciary said that 4,000 people were initially arrested by security forces during the unrest after the disputed presidential election and 3,700 were released later.
Source:Xinhua
The prosecutor said that the case has been filed concerning his "allegations" and "some have been summoned to the court in this regard," the report said.
"Mr. Karroubi is a cleric and his allegations should be dealt with in the clerical court," Dolatabadi said, adding that "some have been summoned to the court in this regard and in case any detailed information is received, we will let the people know."
In a letter, dated July 29 and revealed 10 days later and being addressed to the head of Iran's Assembly of Experts and the Expediency Council Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi-Rafsanjani, Karroubi urged Rafsanjani to probe into various abuses, including "jail rape" reports.
According to the letter, some male and female detainees in Kahrizak prison, which was later shut down by Supreme Leader's order, were said to have been subjected to serious sexual abuse.
Protests gripped Tehran and other Iranian cities after the June12 presidential election, amid claims that the vote had been rigged in favor of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
In August, Iran's judiciary said that 4,000 people were initially arrested by security forces during the unrest after the disputed presidential election and 3,700 were released later.
Source:Xinhua

Related Reading

Special Coverage
Major headlines
Editor's Pick

Most Popular

Hot Forum Dicussion






