'UFO' in skies over Urumqi suspected to be American guided missile
Some citizens were discussing the "UFO" in the sky while the reporter was preparing to stop the car at 11:45 p.m. on June 30 in Urumqi. The reporter looked to where citizens' were pointing and found an unidentified flying object flying to the east with a fan-shaped white light.
Li Jun, a citizen in Yining, had also shot the photos of the "UFO." Li said he was driving on the Qingyi highway and suddenly saw a "UFO" in the sky with a long fan shape light tail. "It stayed in the sky for very short time," said Li Jun.
Song Huagang, the secretary general of Xinjiang Astronomy Society, the object is impossible to be a "UFO." In fact, the United State launched an intercontinental missile on June 30. People can observe the intercontinental missile with their naked eyes in some part of Xinjiang.
According to People's Daily Online, the US launched "Militia" III intercontinental ballistic missiles from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and the missiles hit the target precisely 7,000 kilometers away.
By People's Daily Online/Guangzhou Daily
- On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
- Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
- Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows strong wind blows trees in Sanya, south China's Hainan Province. Typhoon Nesat heads towards south China and is moving at an average wind speed of 20 km per hour toward the west coast of China's Guangdong Province. (Xinhua/Hou Jiansen)
- A fallen tree is seen on a road in Qionghai, south China's Hainan Province, Sept. 29, 2011. Typhoon Nesat was predicted to land in Hainan later Thursday, bringing heavy rainfalls to the island. (Xinhua/Meng Zhongde)
- Arash Kamalvand (L) of Iran spikes the ball during the semifinal against South Korea at the 16th Asian Men's Volleyball Championship in Tehran, Iran, Sept. 28, 2011. Iran won 3-1 to advance to the final. (Xinhua/Ahmad Halabisaz)
- A man visits "Thy Word Is Truth, the Bible Ministry Exhibition of the Protestant Church in China", during its opening at Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church in Washington DC, capital of the United States, Sept. 28, 2011. Through the Bible's various Chinese versions, ancient or modern, as well as pictures, paintings, calligraphy, art works and historical documents, the exhibition was expected to give an overall understanding of how Bible was brought into China, how it was translated, published, distributed and loved. (Xinhua/Zhang Jun)