"China's Got Talent" hits TV screens

09:38, August 13, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

"China's Got Talent" [qq.com]


After months of waiting, Chinese TV audiences finally got to see the first episode of "China's Got Talent" in late July. With three episodes screened so far, the show has won millions of fans, but has also triggered controversy.

"China's Got Talent" is a British-owned Chinese reality show screened by Dragon TV in Shanghai. It features performers of all types and ages competing for a performing contract with Fremantle Media and Sony Music Entertainment.

The plan is to have the finalists of "China's Got Talent," the winners of Britain's Got Talent, and the American and European versions of the show to perform together at the Shanghai Expo Culture Center.

The third episode of the show, screened last Sunday, featured a young man with no arms playing piano with his feet.

Liu Wei who has been playing piano since he was 19, moved the audience and judges to tears with his performance. The 23-year-old said his motto was to "Die quickly or live splendidly." He said he would never complain and would fight to make his dreams come true. Another act in Sunday's show was a poor couple who run a street food stall in Shanghai. The husband said he was taking part in the show to make his wife's dreams come true. She is a keen singer and wants to buy a karaoke machine but they can't afford one. Their story also brought tears to the eyes of the judges.

These acts prompted some online critics to denounce China's Got Talent as a sympathy show, rather than a talent contest, with a moving story counting for more than talent or skill.

But director Jin Lei defended the show.

"The purpose of the show is to tell extraordinary stories about ordinary people, and the most interesting stories are usually the simplest," he said.

Source: china.org.cn

(Editor:王千原雪)

  • Do you have anything to say?
  • Staff members watch a screen showing the blast-off of the Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center, Sept. 29, 2011. Commander-in-chief of China's manned space program Chang Wanquan announced Thursday night that the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module was successful. (Xinhua/Wang Shen)
  • Chinese President Hu Jintao watches the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center in Beijing, capital of China, Sept. 29, 2011. Other members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, including Wu Bangguo, Jia Qinglin, Li Changchun, Xi Jinping, Li Keqiang and Zhou Yongkang, are also present. (Xinhua/Rao Aimin)

  • The graphics shows the launch procedures of the carrier rocket of Tiangong-1 space lab module, Long March-2FT1 on Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Lu Zhe)
  • Image taken from Beijing Aerospace Control Center shows a Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module blasting off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua)
  • On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
  • Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90782/7103569.pdf