China's top donor shows 15-million-yuan money wall
China's top philanthropist Chen Guangbiao stands in front of a wall of 100 yuan bills worth 15 million yuan at a donation ceremony on Jan. 23. (Photo by Wu Sheng, Yangtse Evening Post)
On Jan. 23, 2011, Chen Guangbiao, China's top philanthropist, stood beside a wall made out of money. Chen Guangbiao organized more than 90 entrepreneurs to donate money and articles worth 127 million yuan to poor families in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, Yunnan Province and Jiangsu Province. Of the 127 million yuan donated, Chen personally gave 6 million yuan.
Chen has donated 1 billion yuan to charity so far, which makes him the country's top philanthropist. However, he is best known for his brand of philanthropy: pressing cash into the palms of the needy.
By Ye Xin, People's Daily Online
- NBA: Sacramento Kings downs Huston Rockets 104-101
- NBA: New York Knicks upset Toronto Raptors 131-118
- Grammy winner Ricky Martin promotes 'Music + Soul + Sex' tour in Mexico
- Amazing Body Worlds &Cycle of Life exhibition fascinates visitors in NY
- France, UN set out conditions for Gbagbo's departure
- Ulanqab sees seasonal swarm of swans