KABUL, Sept. 29 -- Twenty-two militants were killed in operations in Afghanistan, the country's Interior Ministry said Sunday morning.
"In past 24 hours, Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF), supported by the NATO-led coalition troops, conducted several cleanup operations in Nangarhar, Faryab, Kandahar, Uruzgan, Herat, Helmand and Nimroz provinces. As a result 22 armed Taliban were killed, 12 wounded and eight others were arrested by the ANSF," the ministry said in a statement providing daily operational updates.
They also found and seized weapons and defused roadside bomb, it noted.
The ANSF has intensified operations against Taliban and other militant groups recently. More than 550 militants had been killed and 250 arrested since beginning this month, according the figure released by the ministry.
In eastern Warak province, seven Taliban, including a local leader Mawlawi Enhan, were killed in a joint overnight operation in Nirkh district, a provincial government spokesman told Xinhua.
The Taliban insurgent group has not made comments yet.
Storms leave 97 dead, 58 missing in Mexico
New model of indigenous surface-to-air missiles testfired
118.28-carat diamond to be auctioned in HK
Maternal love under streetlight
Naked foreign student sits in the middle of a road in Haikou
Colorful Yunnan: Enjoy the natural beauty
Harbin named Chinese city with most beautiful women
For last four students, teacher couple sticks to post on island
When big sport stars were kids
PLA's 38th Group Army conduct training
Residences of the royal house of Savoy
The last days of Wan Aihua
Highlights at 12th National Games of China
Beijing Film Academy welcomes freshmen
Large mahjong party sets new world recordDay|Week|Month