Chinese Air Force's combat group organizes actual-combat training
Street fitness instructor
Couples from 56 ethnic groups create new Guinness record of proposal
Pakistan celebrates Independence Day
Collective wedding ceremony for 'Beijing drifters’ held in Happy Valley
An antique camera collector in Tianjin
Protests held in Gaza, Jordan to support Egyptian people
China Beijing Int'l Gifts, Premium&Houseware Exhibition opens
Joey Yung's new album cover released
Three people have died and five others remain missing in south China due to Typhoon Utor, which has been bringing high winds and torrential rains to the region since Wednesday.
More than 1 million people in south China's Guangdong Province have been affected by downpours and floods triggered by the typhoon, the provincial flood control and drought relief headquarters said.
The typhoon has forced the relocation of 161,500 people, as well as destroyed nearly 1,500 homes, the headquarters said.
In the cities of Zhanjiang and Wuchuan, several villages were flooded, as embankments along the swollen Quehua River were breached on Wednesday. Four hundred armed police are participating in rescue efforts.
Utor was the strongest typhoon of the year before it crossed the Philippines earlier this week, killing at least seven people and leaving four missing.
The typhoon made landfall at 3:50 p.m. Wednesday near the city of Yangjiang in western Guangdong, packing winds of over 150 km per hour at its center, local meteorological authorities said.
It moved into the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region Wednesday night and is expected to linger there for four days.
On Thursday, the railway bureau in Nanning, Guangxi's capital, announced that sections of a railway linking the region to central China's Hunan Province collapsed after being soaked by heavy rain.
Passenger services on the line were suspended on Wednesday but resumed gradually on Thursday following the completion of repairs.
The Guangxi water conservation department said major rivers in the province are flooding due to downpours brought by the typhoon.
About 245,000 people from three cities and seven counties in Guangxi have been affected by the downpours brought by Utor, according to regional civil affairs authorities.
The storm has also forced 1,800 ships to return to harbor in south China, as well as led to the evacuation of 8,000 tourists on Weizhou Island.
Civil affairs authorities in Guangxi said 3,890 hectares of crops have been damaged and 176 houses have collapsed due to the storm, which has also caused direct economic losses of 34.53 million yuan (5.6 million U.S. dollars).
Helicopters, tanks seen during China-Russia joint drill
Conjoined twins separated in groundbreaking surgery
Summer photos of Zhang Xinyi, how graceful
Pakistan celebrates Independence Day
Beijing Int'l Gifts, Premium & Houseware Exhibition opens
Kung Fu soccer team trains at Songshan Shaolin training base
Air Force's combat group conducts flight training in joint drills
Protests held in Gaza, Jordan to support Egyptian people
Various sun protective outfits
Jaguar Land Rover to recall 11,852 cars
In sports arena, you are my greatest rival!
Top 10 fatal vipers on earth Day|Week|Month