
BEIJING, July 13 (Xinhua) -- China on Friday strongly condemned the massacre in Syria's Hama region on Thursday, which caused the death of more than 200 Syrians, mostly civilians.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin made the remarks at a regular press briefing when asked to comment on the massacre.
Syria's state TV said Thursday that armed groups committed a massacre in al-Traimseh of central Hama province in order to frame Syrian troops, as activists alleged that at least 200 people had been killed in the town.
"China has always strongly denounced actions that harm innocent civilians," said Liu, calling on concerned Syrian parties to take concrete measures and fulfill their commitment to cease violence as soon as possible.
Ministers attending the Action Group meeting on Syria that concluded in Geneva on June 30 agreed to establish principles and guidelines to usher the way for a Syrian-led transition.
A joint communique issued after the meeting said that the global community wished to see "an end to the violence and human rights abuses" and that the Syrian people had the right to "independently and democratically determine their own future."
Liu hailed the positive progress made in seeking political resolutions to the Syria crisis, adding that China appreciates UN-Arab League Joint Envoy Kofi Annan's mediating efforts.
He urged parties concerned to continue supporting Annan's mediation efforts and seriously implementing Annan's six-point peace plan, and UN Security Council (UNSC)'s relevant resolutions as well as the communique of the Action Group meeting, so as to ease the tension in Syria at an early date.













Test results of foreign-brand milk powder products still uncertain




