China on Wednesday reiterated its opposition to foreign intervention in Hong Kong's internal affairs, after remarks by the U.S. envoy to the special administrative region.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a routine press briefing that the Chinese government is resolutely opposed to any foreign countries' irresponsible comments on the development of Hong Kong's political system.
These are internal affairs of Hong Kong and the internal affairs of China, he said.
The spokesman expressed hope that relevant country will earnestly practice what they preach and do more things that are conducive to Hong Kong's prosperity and stability.
In a speech to the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong on Tuesday, U.S. envoy to Hong Kong Clifford Hart said that he applauds the Chinese central government's decision to proceed with the introduction of universal suffrage in the 2017 Hong Kong chief executive election and the 2020 Legislative Council elections. The U.S side has no prescription for Hong Kong's electoral process, Hart added.
Earlier this month, the Chinese Foreign Ministry urged Britain to immediately stop interfering in Hong Kong's internal affairs.
On Sept. 16, Hong expressed "strong dissatisfaction and resolute opposition" to a British minister's newspaper article in which he "openly made irresponsible remarks on Hong Kong's political system."
Storms leave 97 dead, 58 missing in Mexico
New model of indigenous surface-to-air missiles testfired
118.28-carat diamond to be auctioned in HK
Maternal love under streetlight
Naked foreign student sits in the middle of a road in Haikou
Colorful Yunnan: Enjoy the natural beauty
Harbin named Chinese city with most beautiful women
New college students' military training in Guangzhou
Rugby girls
PLA's 38th Group Army conduct training
Residences of the royal house of Savoy
The last days of Wan Aihua
Highlights at 12th National Games of China
Beijing Film Academy welcomes freshmen
Large mahjong party sets new world recordDay|Week|Month